Environmental acoustics is the domain of science and techniques related to the study of acoustic vibrations and concerning their production, propagation and effects in relation to the preservation of environment. This domain is basing an important part of the activity of ITS, which markets studies and works.
Environmental acoustic studies
As appropriate, environmental acoustics, for what relates to sudies, may use different areas of expertise:
- acoustic metrology, when it comes to quantifying the noise emissions of a noise source (machinery, equipment, ...) or the performance of products or construction systems in a laboratory or on site (materials for sound insulation, partitions, silencers ...) or the performance of sets such as enclosures (acoustic hoods), premises and buildings (in terms of sound insulation or in terms of reverberation) or when it comes to the characterization of an acoustic situation (e.g. the source of a discomfort) in accordance with applicable standards
- modeling, when it comes to simulate the performance of products or construction systems (materials for acoustic insulation, walls, silencers ...) or the performance of sets such as enclosures (acoustic hoods), premises and buildings (in terms of sound insulation or in terms of reverberation) or the impact of a noise source for a given environmentknowledge of various industrial processes involving equipment generating specific constraints and sometimes antagonistic with respect to acoustics (e.g. those linked to aerodynamics in general and to the treatment of hot or cold gas flows in particular in the area of energy or for test benches and testing rooms), and of the physics of heat transfer (in the field of production of heat, cooling, ...)
- familiarity with various industrial noise sources (machinery & equipment of all types) and with related requirements for example in terms of ergonomics with respect to many projects related to the fight against noise at work (constraints related to production and maintenance)
- knowledge of noise sources related to transportation infrastructures (road & rail)
Environmental acoustic works
Depending on the considered project, environmental acoustics may, in terms of works, require extensive knowledge and know-how:
- construction technologies (metal, wood, masonry ...) including the selection of products and construction systems (for sound insulation or soundproofing equipment or for reverberation control systems) possibly in the context of the construction / refurbishment of buildings with the management of related features in connection with the building process (mechanical strength, fire performance, thermal insulation, ...) and with the mastering of technical implementation according to applicable regulations, guidelines and rules of the Art
Environmental acoustic studies and works
In relation to environmental acoustics, diagnosis (if necessary based on acoustic measurements) of situations of noise pollution (sound disturbance to neighbors, noise in the workplace, etc ...) or of discomfort in terms of acoustics (poor quality of constructions, occurrence of exceeded noise limits) research and recommendation of solutions in terms of soundproofing or acoustic comfort, supply of sound insulation materials and equipment (standard or custom), acoustic insulation design and fitting (of current technicity or high tech) turnkey with guaranteed results for a single project (e.g. in relation to the end user of a noisy real estate good or equipment) or for recurring needs (e.g. in relation to builders: support for developing industrialized solutions to fight against noise or for acoustic comfort): possible means of intervention of ITS with respect to all projects in relation to acoustics are as varied as the needs.
As far as solutions to environmental acoustic problems are concerned, e.g. exceeding noise levels authorized to avoid disturbing neighbors at the property boundary, or the emergence value - this is the difference between the continuous equivalent A-weighted pressure levels of ambient noise (noise source e.g. equipment, facility or industrial site in operation) and residual noise (in the absence of sound emissions from the considered noise source, but measured over its period of operation in the areas with regulated emergence - they often have to do with multilayer acoustic structures (construction panels, linings of noise reduction devices for openings and vents) that vary (e.g. in constitution, thickness and performance) according to the needs of each project.
ITS intervenes for environmental acoustics (studies and works): enclosures, screens, noise barriers, soundproofing, acoustic insulation, silencers.
See the frequently asked questions related to this article
|See the frequently asked questions related to this article|