The acoustician is the specialist for the domain of science and techniques related to the study of acoustic vibrations and concerning their production, propagation and effects in relation to different needs of the industry (this domain is basing an important part of the activity of ITS).
As appropriate, being acoustician may involve the recourse to different areas of expertise:
- acoustic metrology, when it comes to quantifying the noise emissions of a noise source (machinery, equipment, ...) or the performance of products or construction systems in a laboratory or on site (materials for sound insulation, partitions, silencers ...) or the performance of sets such as enclosures (acoustic hoods), premises and buildings (in terms of sound insulation or in terms of reverberation) or when it comes to the characterization of an acoustic situation (e.g. the source of a discomfort) in accordance with applicable standards
- modeling, when it comes to simulate the performance of products or construction systems (materials for acoustic insulation, wall, silencers ...) or the performance of sets such as enclosures (acoustic hoods), premises and buildings (in terms of sound insulation or in terms of reverberation) or the impact of a noise source for a given environment
- construction technologies (metal, wood, masonry ...) including the selection of products and construction systems (for sound insulation or soundproofing equipment or for reverberation control systems) possibly in the context of the construction / refurbishment of buildings with the management of related features in connection with the building process (mechanical strength, fire performance, thermal insulation, ...) and with the mastering of technical implementation according to applicable regulations, guidelines and rules of the Art
- knowledge of various industrial processes involving equipment generating specific constraints and sometimes antagonistic with respect to acoustics (e.g. those linked to aerodynamics in general and to the treatment of hot or cold gas flows in particular in the area of energy or for test bench and testing rooms), and of the physics of heat transfer (in the field of production of heat, cooling, ...)
- familiarity with various industrial noise sources (machinery & equipment of all types) and with related requirements for example in terms of ergonomics with respect to many projects related to the fight against noise at work (for accounting in a correct way constraints related to the tasks of production and maintenance)
In relation to the activities of an acoustician (as the human ressource of ITS), diagnosis (if necessary based on acoustic measurements) of situations of noise pollution (sound disturbance to neighbors, noise in the workplace, etc ...) or of discomfort in terms of acoustics (poor quality of constructions, occurrence of exceeded noise limits) research and recommendation of solutions in terms of soundproofing or acoustic comfort, supply of sound insulation materials and equipment (standard or custom), acoustic insulation design and works (of current technicity or high tech) turnkey with guaranteed results for a single project (e.g. in relation to the end user of a noisy real estate good or equipment) or for recurring needs (e.g. in relation to builders: support for developing industrialized solutions to fight against noise or for acoustic comfort): possible means of intervention of ITS with respect to all projects in relation to acoustics are as varied as the needs.
See the frequent asked questions related to this article
|See the frequent asked questions related to this article|