In terms of acoustical insulation, areas of expertise, fields of application and solutions offered are many and varied at ITS.
ITS' areas of expertise in terms of acoustic insulation.
Acoustical insulation is at the core of ITS activity, often involving on-site measurements of sound levels and of indicators related to the acoustic quality of buildings, calculations for noise impact prediction and for sizing of soundproofing equipment, which are marketed by ITS, with or without installation.
Problem solving related to the exposure of workers to noise is one of the aspects of this activity, particularly in connection with corrugated cardboard production lines, rotary presses, machines related to metal processing (among which: presses for the automotive industry). Enclosures, noise barriers, cabins and soundproofed workshop offices are then soundproofing equipment frequently considered by ITS for the improvement of the conditions of professional activity.
In addition, taking into account the necessary tranquility of the residents around an industrial site often motivates the recourse to ITS. Soundproof buildings, canopies, silencers, noise barriers, insulation systems for pipes (including valves) are then structures for the design and construction of which ITS participates.
In particular, the energy production sector (thermal, particularly based on the use of engines or turbines and boilers in the case of cogeneration installations) combines these two contexts and therefore constitutes a field of activity of choice (related equipment is also marketed by ITS e.g. air intake filters, chimneys, exhaust gas catalysis devices).
Still in relation with the industry (sometimes also for universities or engineering schools), ITS intervenes in the context of projects of soundproof test benches and sound measurement rooms (including aeroacoustic wind tunnels) ; in addition to issues related to the propagation of noise (from the inside to the outside if it is a question of limiting the impact on the environment, including contiguous spaces within the same building or in the other direction if it is a question of obtaining a sufficiently low level of background noise - sometimes close to 0 dB - within a space dedicated to acoustic metrology such as an anechoic room), the challenge is often to reproduce indoors (i.e.in an enclosed space) sound propagation conditions as observed outdoor i.e. in free field conditions: the anechoic linings of such deaf chambers are very specific.
acoustical insulation is not the least of the issues to be managed on the occasion of the construction of an anechoic room
The existence of these areas of expertise is made possible by the presence at ITS of a specialized human resource:
- in acoustic metrology (with a specialization in instrumental techniques) for on-site measurements of sound pressure levels, reverberation time, spatial sound decay, sound reduction index
- in building physics (acoustics, aeraulics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer) for acoustic studies, development of solutions, sizing of soundproofing equipment meeting the needs of each project
ITS's applications and solutions in the field of acoustical insulation
Indiustrial acoustical insulation (a major reason of being for ITS) is the implementation of actions of fight against noise in relation to industry needs. Among those actions, one can distinguish:
- actions at source, which are to reduce noise emissions from industrial noise sources
- protection of persons from industrial noise
- measures to limit noise propagation
As appropriate, acoustic insulation may use different areas of expertise:
- acoustic metrology, when it comes to quantifying the noise emissions of a noise source (machinery, equipment, ...) or the performance of products or construction systems in a laboratory or on site (materials for sound insulation, partitions, silencers ...) or the performance of sets such as enclosures (acoustic hoods), premises and buildings (in terms of sound insulation or in terms of reverberation) or when it comes to the characterization of an acoustic situation (e.g. the source of a discomfort) in accordance with applicable standards
- modeling, when it comes to simulate the performance of products or construction systems (materials for acoustic insulation, walls, silencers ...) or the performance of sets such as enclosures (acoustic hoods), premises and buildings (in terms of sound insulation or in terms of reverberation) or the impact of a noise source for a given environment
- construction technologies (metal, wood, masonry ...) including the selection of products and construction systems (for sound insulation or soundproofing equipment or for reverberation control systems) possibly in the context of the construction / refurbishment of buildings with the management of related features in connection with the building process (mechanical strength, fire performance, thermal insulation, ...) and with the mastering of technical implementation according to applicable regulations, guidelines and rules of the Art
- knowledge of various industrial processes involving equipment generating specific constraints and sometimes antagonistic with respect to acoustics (e.g. those linked to aerodynamics in general and to the treatment of hot or cold gas flows in particular in the area of energy or for test benches and testing rooms), and of the physics of heat transfer (in the field of production of heat, cooling, ...)
- familiarity with various industrial noise sources (machinery & equipment of all types) and with related requirements for example in terms of ergonomics with respect to many projects related to the fight against noise at work (for accounting in a correct way constraints related to the tasks of production and maintenance)
In relation to acoustic insulation, diagnosis (if necessary based on acoustic measurements) of situations of noise pollution (sound disturbance to neighbors, noise in the workplace, etc ...) or of discomfort in terms of acoustics (poor quality of constructions, occurrence of exceeded noise limits) research and recommendation of solutions in terms of soundproofing or acoustic comfort, supply of sound insulation materials and equipment (standard or custom), acoustic insulation design and works (of current technicity or high tech) turnkey with guaranteed results for a single project (e.g. in relation to the end user of a noisy real estate good or equipment) or for recurring needs (e.g. in relation to builders: support for developing industrialized solutions to fight against noise or for acoustic comfort): possible means of intervention of ITS with respect to all projects in relation to acoustics are as varied as the needs.
In addition, aside from industrial applications, the acoustic comfort of buildings, and in particular the limitation of the transmission of external or internal noise and of equipment noise, are essential concerns in the context of projects related to the acoustic quality of a building such as an educational, spports or health institution, an office or associated spaces (e.g. meeting room, canteen). ITS contributes to such projects (new or retrofitted) in the field of sound insulation (ITS is also able to manage the limitation of the reverberation of these premises).
More generally, ITS often intervenes for the limitation of the sound production of turbomachines: not only the (large) gas turbines in power plants, or the industrial compressors (of large capacity) for gas liquefaction or air separation plants, but also fans and refrigeration units in the great diversity of their industrial applications, for the tertiary sector when they are not quasi-domestic (extractors, aerocondensors, heat pumps, air conditioning, ...).
ITS offers its sound insulation skills for all construction and renovation projects, industrial and non-industrial: "choice soundscapes, everywhere" is the slogan of ITS.
Spread the word !