Building acoustics is the domain of science and techniques related to the study of acoustic vibrations and concerning their production, propagation and effects in relation to different needs of the construction. This domain is basing an important part of the activity of ITS.
acoustics in building
As appropriate, building acoustics may use different areas of expertise:
- acoustic metrology, when it comes to quantifying the noise emissions of a noise source (machinery, equipment, ...) or the performance of products or construction systems in a laboratory or on site (materials for sound insulation, partitions, silencers ...) or the performance of sets such as premises and buildings (in terms of sound insulation or in terms of reverberation) or when it comes to the characterization of an acoustic situation (e.g. the source of a discomfort) in accordance with applicable standards
- modeling, when it comes to simulate the performance of products or construction systems (materials for acoustic insulation, walls, silencers ...) or the performance of sets such as premises and buildings (in terms of sound insulation or in terms of reverberation) or the impact of a noise source for a given environment
- construction technologies (metal, wood, masonry ...) including the selection of products and construction systems (for sound insulation or soundproofing equipment or for reverberation control systems) possibly in the context of the construction / refurbishment of buildings with the management of related features in connection with the building process (mechanical strength, fire performance, thermal insulation, ...) and with the mastering of technical implementation according to applicable regulations, guidelines and rules of the Art
In relation to building acoustics, diagnosis (if necessary based on acoustic measurements) of situations of noise pollution (sound disturbance to neighbors, noise in the workplace, etc ...) or of discomfort in terms of acoustics (poor quality of constructions, occurrence of exceeded noise limits) research and recommendation of solutions in terms of soundproofing or acoustic comfort (*), supply of sound insulation materials and equipment (standard or custom), acoustic insulation design and works (of current technicity or high tech) turnkey with guaranteed results for a single project (e.g. in relation to the end user of a noisy real estate good or equipment) or for recurring needs (e.g. in relation to builders: support for developing industrialized solutions to fight against noise or for acoustic comfort): possible means of intervention of ITS with respect to all projects in relation to acoustics are as varied as the needs.
* regarding the acoustic comfort of tertiary buildings in particular, the main concerns frequently encountered are:
- insulation of spaces from outside
- level of impact noise transmitted into the spaces
- noise level of equipment in the spaces
- internal acoustic of spaces
- airborne sound insulation of spaces (reception) with respect to other areas, including namely: activity areas (emission)
- footsteps noise in spaces
- optimization of acoustic ambience criteria
ITS intervenes for building acoustics: acoustical insulation, room reverberberation control, soundproofing, acoustic comfort.
See the frequently asked questions related to this article
|See the frequently asked questions related to this article|